The Art of the X chromosome

An art blog dedicated to the art of women. Often overlooked, derided as less than, forced to exist and grow in the shadow of male artists and critics .... women's art grew from tenaciousness, talent, and love for art.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Monte Vista, Southern Colorado

I'm a middle aged, childless, balding, slightly chubby around the middle, wrinkled man who is polyamorous, passionate, friendly and hates to use the phone. I laugh out loud, scream at god and chaos, cry quietly, and always always always believe that people are good and worthy. Except George Bush and his ilk. They're just evil.

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Modern Definations

Today I have been exploring the world of what I call semi-modern art by women artists. This one takes you to the work by Judy Chicago and explains much about the objects linked to the humans in the dinner party. Judy Chicago's: The Dinner Party I always like to know what something means, where it came from and all that stuff.

As I look through the information in the above link and let it sift though my brain I'm beginning to wonder....... Is The Dinner Party the female artists version of a monumental work such as Christo's wrapping of buildings? A project so large that includes the cooperation of so many people can really be thought of to be little else. And following that thought I'm confronted by the difference in style and substance of the two artists and their choices for a monumental work. I believe that both follow the gender stereotypes laid out for them. Christo uses heavy equiptment and imposes his will on the pre-existing constructions of both the earth and builders before him while Judy Chicago relies on traditional craft and the cooperation of women to build a large moving quilt of experience and belief that is personified by the setting of a table.

Things to think about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home