The Art of the X chromosome

An art blog dedicated to the art of women. Often overlooked, derided as less than, forced to exist and grow in the shadow of male artists and critics .... women's art grew from tenaciousness, talent, and love for art.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Monte Vista, Southern Colorado

I'm a middle aged, childless, balding, slightly chubby around the middle, wrinkled man who is polyamorous, passionate, friendly and hates to use the phone. I laugh out loud, scream at god and chaos, cry quietly, and always always always believe that people are good and worthy. Except George Bush and his ilk. They're just evil.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Sonja Sekula

I found a wonderful article at artnet, http://www.artnet.com/magazine_pre2000/features/robinson/robinson9-21-96.asp it's about Sonja Sekula, a little known Swiss born abstract expressionist who died in 1963. It's worth a read, and fun in the process. I love it because it's all the things that are counter to what made an artist popular in those times. Abstract Expressionist, lesbian, mad, and a woman.

This class has done much to show how women were kept out of making and selling art. I will always regret that the selling is so often used as a measure of greatness. Another thing that amazes me is the list of shows that someone like a Sonja Sekula does often doesn't translate into a recognizable name in the popular culture. And her stuff is GOOD!

So go take a look, see what we've all been missing due to the marginalization of women. See if it makes you mad as it does me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She was my second cousin and must have been quite tortured, although several of her immediate family also committed suicide. Her mother was my grandmother's sister...quite a lovely "femme fatale".
I have several of Sonja's paintings.

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omg I would love to see pics! I'm a,fan my art teachers knew your aunt in NYC in 1950-1953 m
Sincerely Paul Edelstein henrygrove@yahoo.com

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home